Saturday, November 28, 2009

Overwhelmed and making adjustments

I've been a bit overwhelmed with Rick's seemingly non-stop travel and the added responsibilities of the new baby. It has been challenging to work in all the daily duties, our classes, playgroups, playdates and our tot-school activities. An extra pair of parental hands helps so much and I miss it when they're gone. My heart goes out to the military wives who have husbands deployed. They are true heroes in my book.

Until a class ended last week, we've only had 1 morning a week open. That quickly got filled with errands and such.  There just hasn't been enough time to do all the things I wanted to with Turbo and Sweet Pea. It's funny how just one short activity outside the house can require an additional hour or more for getting ready, commuting to and from, then getting settled at home again. Mornings are golden hours for learning and they've been disappearing during the week.

I've learned so much from all my TotSchool peers here in bloggy-land that I'm more confident than ever in my ability to teach and productivly play with my kids. I no longer feel like I need to have several classes to keep my kid(s) occupied. I know I can do that myself!  2010 is going to be a terrific year.

That being said, I've decided to cut back on outside activities next year. We won't be doing Mommy and Me preschool since the class wasn't well managed and the activities required so much parental involvement - I ended up doing several myself (and I'm ALL for the openness of art.).  We have two playgroups each week and I'll have to see how it works out. At this point I think I'll skip one playgroup day(each) per month. I'm sad to say I will likely drop MOPS this time around too. That will give us at 2 or 3 open mornings each week.  Music Together is the only class we're keeping, because Turbo absolutely loves it. In addition, it's the only class that is targeted for ages 0 - 5 in the same class - and actually works well!  

I'm excited about our upcoming TotSchool week. I have a lot on our plan and hope to accomplish most of it.  When we first started TotSchool, I was doing a letter of the week. We're getting back to that with the letter R  ~ inspired by a Rainbow we saw on Friday.

Stay tuned for some fun posts this week. I have several coming up....including a little gift sent our way!!!!

Are you adjusting your schedule in the new year? What changes are you making?

5 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

sounds great can't wait to hear more about next year as the months go by! don't feel bad about dropping classes and stuff mine have never been in any classes and my oldest is doing great in school and both are social and friendly! :)

Gidget Girl Reading said...

well i should have said we do the free library storytimes :)

Counting Coconuts said...

I totally hear where you're coming from. We used to be loaded with activities outside the home until I finally wised up and decided to cut back! We still do a 2-3 organized activities each week, but I find it's MUCH more manageable now. I think you'll find you feel the same way! Good luck! Can't wait to see what you have planned for Tot School in 2010!

Kylie said...

I agree life is so much easier and more fun when you have the time to actualy do things at home, instead of rushing here there and everywhere. We cut back this year and it truly was a blessing for us. :)

Kylie said...

I agree life is so much easier and more fun when you have the time to actualy do things at home, instead of rushing here there and everywhere. We cut back this year and it truly was a blessing for us. :)